Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Lucky Girl


Lately I've been a little obsessed with D's hair. She lets me to do it everyday and doesn't complain to much as long as I'm quick and don't pull too hard. I love when the other moms at preschool tell me how cute it is and ask how I did it, or when strangers tell me how pretty it is (well sometimes the stranger thing is a little creepy). I know her hair a pretty color but I feel like I contribute to it's beauty by having it, lets say, "arranged" well.  As beautiful as her hair is it does have it's tricky parts, and I call her lucky not because I'm amazing at hair but because I just happen to know how to take care of this specific kind of hair from my own personal experience.
She has those beautiful ringlets, but the top layer of her hair is all straight, so I try to arrange it so the top is pulled back allowing her curl to show. I always had to do the same thing when I would wear my hair curly for the same reason. Another thing we fight is frizz, luckily there are products out there that we can use to help control the frizz and I also know when to and when not to wash her hair, along with how to dry it to reduce frizz. I wish these products had been available to me when growing up.The reason I use the word "lucky" is because friends, I was not so lucky. 
I'm going to out my mom here, that poor woman did not have the same hair as me and she struggled finding ways to do it. In her defense it is difficult hair but, at one point she decided it would just be best to cut it all off and go for the orphan Annie look. Well she nailed the orphan look.....

I don't think I got as many "wow her hair is so pretty" comments and my sweet Delilah does. Does this mean that I am living vicariously through my daughter like those moms on toddlers and tiaras? I hope not because those women are crazy!
Please know that my mom has since owned that this was a terrible decision and apologized  for this disaster of a cut. After this cut grew out I mainly wore braids until I figured out how to use gel, a diffuser and flat iron. I think the emotional scars from it have almost healed and maybe I will attempt to tame my curls again.  I hope one day Delilah will appreciate everything I went through so she could have her beautiful tame hair. Also when you see her hair in a mess just know it could look worse.... A LOT worse. Love ya mom ;)

7 comments:

Lauren and Carter said...

I am dying. I can't stop laughing or looking at both of those pictures. Admittedly they do bring different reactions. :) It's true you do a GREAT job with D's hair! Because I think you're right - it's all about how it is arranged. I love that hairstyle. My coworkers (yeah, they are frequent readers of D's blog) can't get over how long her hair is.

Lauren and Carter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrea said...

Its okay Michelle! We all loved you (and your Mom) anyway... :) I seriously love D's hair. So so darling.

Le said...

You need to share your tips. Megan's hair is like this where it's curly ringlets on bottom and straight on top. luckily though she doesn't look like little orphan Annie now that it's short. :)

grandma blair said...

Oh, that is a really bad picture, is that guy taking a picture in the background? Once again, sorry about that hair cut. Just remember you were 6th child in less than 9 years. I didn't have a lot of time.
Love what you do with Delilah's hair

Eve said...

I keep revisiting this post in my reader and CRACKING up. Your poor mom. You poor you. ;) Lucky Delilah! She has gorgeous hair, thanks to you for genetics and your skills!

red said...

Laughing so hard right now!!!